Talk:Dragonkin (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
A few proposals
A couple quick things I found while looking this over I didn't look at most of the Dragon Warrior subclass or at all the other two.
- Formatting needs to be improved to follow other classes on here. It's hard to tell at a glance where subclasses begin and end.
- Dragon Claws: Multi-attack isn't a thing for PCs. a better description would be:
Starting at level 1 you gain natural weapons in the form of draconic claws. They deal 1d4 slashing damage and have the finesse property. The damage die increases to 1d6 at 8th level, and to 1d8 at 16th level.
- Dragon Breath should specify that is based on your dragon ancestor, and that it uses the dragonborn's breath weapon specifically. It also currently doesn't say it takes an action.
- Granting saving throw proficiencies for your subclass at level 3 seems pretty strong, but the only thing I have to compare it to off the top of my head is a monk's Diamond soul ability which is 14th level but all saves, so difficult to compare.
- Precise claws needs work. It is basically advantage on claw attacks 1-10 per long rest. which seems like a lot at later levels. It also doesn't specify when you can choose to reroll unlike other abilities that allow you to do so. I'd propose something like,
If you miss with an attack using your claws, you can immediately make another claw attack at the same target.
- Draconic Senses is too powerful. The wording could be clarified as to what "detect" means. Do you know exactly where they are and can ignore all concealment abilities, or do you just know that something is within 30 feet but nothing more? It also as written give advantage on every attack against medium or smaller creatures, which is insane. I 'd suggest something like this, removing the second part and rewording the first:
At level 6 you get advantage on perception checks relying on smell, taste, and hearing. And can detect hidden creatures withing 30 ft of you, but not their number or their location. This range increases to 45ft at level 8 and 60ft at level 16.
- Draconic skin: while not necessarily over powered when compared to something like the protection fighting style, I think it could be reworked to make more sense. The same goes for Strong Body.
At level 9 your skin gets thicker and scalier much like your ancestor. While not wearing armour, your AC is now equal to 14 + constitution modifier, or 15 + constitution modifier if you took the Draconic Warrior prowess.
- Draconic wings needs to specify if it takes a bonus action, action, or whatever, as well as how long it lasts for. It also should have a proviso for armour similar to Draconic sorcerer's ability.
- Draconic body: The last part is unnecessary, as far as I know, dragons still need to eat, sleep, and drink.
- Dragon Soul: Should probably include something about it not attack your allies, unless you intend for your red dragon ancestor to attack your friends.