Talk:Combat Reflexes (5e Feat)
From D&D Wiki
Hello, fellow wikian! I kinda like the premise of this feat, but I'm afraid it has some rooms that can be improved for 5th edition. Here are my comments:
- Prerequisite. You may notice that all feats from your PHB has ability score prerequisite of 13, instead of 15, and for now, I think it's very safe to follow the official boundaries for this part. You may consult the 5e Feat Design Guide page for your reference.
- Extra Reactions? It seems that you are familiar with 3.5e standards, so I sort of understand your confusion of having only one opportunity attack (and that might sound peculiar for you if you're used to the term "attack of opportunity") and only when a creature leaves the range of your melee attack.
- However, notice that in 5th edition, you can use your reaction (once per round) for more than just opportunity attacks. For example, you can cast hellish rebuke and counterspell with your reaction, or use many class features. Giving extra reactions can be exploited for something you did not intended, especially for spellcasters.
- I suggest you may use some features from UA article, especially the Defender's Blade feature. This gives you more than one opportunity attacks per round (but only once per turn), so this can be modified for your benefits.
Again, I do like the premise, and I see potentials from this feat. I think this would make a wonderful feat, but for now, I cannot help but say that it should be modified to better fit the 5e standards. --WeirdoWhoever (talk) 07:56, 20 July 2017 (MDT)
- Hey Weirdo, I am looking for something like this all the time but agree it doesn't quite fit for 5th. I read Defender Blade and I want to make sure I understand it fully. Basically, you'd be able to take extra attacks of opportunity but no more than against a single target, correct? BigShotFancyMan (talk) 10:27, 1 October 2017 (MDT)
- WeirdoWhoever, at your service. The Defender's Blade features allows one reaction per turn, but only once, and only for the purpose of opportunity attack. In 5th edition, reactions are given only once per round (not turn), and opportunity attacks use up an reaction to use. So with the Defender's Blade feature, you can make one opportunity attack for each of every other creature's turn, instead of only one opportunity attack for each round of the combat. So yeah, it does grant extra opportunity attacks, but not consecutively, as in, you cannot make two opportunity attacks on a single target at a same time (but you do can make two opportunity attacks if the target provokes one at one turn, and then provoke another at the next turn or something). --WeirdoWhoever (talk) 20:49, 2 October 2017 (MDT)