Ring Wraith (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Ring Wraith
- 1.1 Creating a Ring Wraith
- 1.2 Class Features
- 1.3 Wraith Lord Archetypes
- 2 Multiclassing
A mysterious figure strolls down the road, weapons hanging heavily from it's belt. It's face is shrouded beneath a dark hood and its steps ring through the air as metal strikes stone. It turns into an alley, and very briefly, you see it stop and slowly observe its surroundings, turning is head, and sniffing the air as if trying to catch an elusive scent. It then notices you staring at it, and turns its head towards you. You step back from that unnaturally cold gaze from unseen eyes, and try to look away as if you were merely looking at something just past the figure, when you turn back to look, it is gone.
A ring wraith is a jeweler or smith who forged a ring of power. Over time, these rings grant the wearer magical powers whilst draining their lifeforce. A ring wraith straddles the line between life and undeath, appearing pallid and holding on to only faded memories of their past. They continue to improve their craftsmanship of rings, and become fixated with ring-shaped weapons, armor, motions and art objects.
Creating a Ring Wraith
- Quick Build
The ring wraith is primarily a melee fighter, so Strength, Constitution and Dexterity are the important ability scores.
Choose the guild artisan (PHB p. 132) background.
Strength build: Make Strength your highest ability score, and Constitution your next highest score. Start with a halberd, ring mail armor and an explorer's pack. Pick Athletics and Intimidation as your skills. Choose the Immovable fighting style and the Ring of Curing. At 3rd level, choose the Destroyer archetype. This build focuses on the ring wraith's endurance as a front-line fighter.
Dexterity build: Make Dexterity your highest ability score, and Constitution your next highest score. Start with two short swords, leather armor and jeweler's tools. Choose Stealth and Arcana as your skills. Choose the chained two-weapon fighting style and the Ring of Shadows. At 3rd level, choose the Ring Forger archetype. This build focuses on finesse weapons and mobility. Dexterity is also used when using jeweler's tools to craft (nonmagical) rings.
As a Ring Wraith you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light armor, ring mail, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial Weapons
Tools: Jeweler's tools
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Choose two from Intimidation, Athletics, Perception, Insight, Stealth, Survival, and Arcana.
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) a halberd or (b) a longsword and a shortsword or (c) two shortswords
- (a) Leather armor or (b) ring mail
- (a) Explorer's pack or (b) Jeweler's tools
|1st||+2||Obtain Ring, Fighting Style|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement|
|5th||+3||Wraith Lord Feature , Extra Attack|
|7th||+3||Obtain Second Ring|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement|
|10th||+4||Wraith Lord Feature|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement|
|15th||+5||Wraith Lord Feature|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement|
|18th||+6||Banished From Death|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement|
|20th||+6||Wraith Lord Feature|
Starting at 1st level, and again at 7th level, your wraith acquires one of the magical rings of power. The ring is assumed to have been crafted by you during your downtime using your arcane power and negligible material components. They grant no benefit to another person wearing one. If you are separated from one of your rings you can spend one hour concentrating during a long rest to have it materialize on your finger.
A ring has 2 charges, and regains 1 expended charge daily at midnight.
When you gain a ring, choose one of the following options. You can use your action and expend 1 charge to activate the ring's feature.
- Ring of Strength
You are affected by the Bull's Strength effect of the enhance ability spell.
- Ring of Dexterity
You are affected by the Cat's Grace effect of the enhance ability spell.
- Ring of Constitution
You are affected by the Bear's Endurance effect of the enhance ability spell.
- Ring of Intelligence
You are affected by the Fox's Cunning effect of the enhance ability spell.
- Ring of Wisdom
You are affected by the Owl's Wisdom effect of the enhance ability spell.
- Ring of Charisma
You are affected by the Eagle's Splendor effect of the enhance ability spell.
- Ring of Skill
For the duration of 10 minutes, you add half your proficiency bonus to your skill checks if you do not already add your proficiency bonus to them.
- Ring of Shadows
For the duration of 10 minutes, when you are in dim light you are heavily obscured as though in darkness; and you see in dim light as though it were bright light.
- Ring of Curing
You cast cure wounds on yourself as a 1st level spell. Your spellcasting ability is Constitution.
You adopt a particular style of fighting as your speciality. Choose one of the following options. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.
- Chained Two-Weapon Fighting
When you wield a light melee weapon in each hand, they are chained together with links of spiritual energy. If you use two-weapon fighting to make a bonus attack with the second melee weapon, that attack can be made with reach.
When you are wielding a hafted weapon such as a spear, quarterstaff or halberd, you can use an action or bonus action to plant the haft in the ground. While it is so wielded and rooted, you cannot move and are not subject to any kind of forced movement. This does not affect your ability to attack with the weapon, and you can end the effect at the start of one of your turns.
- Nine Ring Sword
Any one-handed weapon you wield that deals slashing damage manifests nine spiritual rings along the blade. When you are attacked by a piercing weapon, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage by 1d10-1.
From 2nd level onward, you are considered both a living creature and an undead creature. When you are subject to an effect that depends on if you are living or undead, you can choose whichever is most beneficial to you.
In addition, you are resistant to necrotic damage.
At 3rd level, you choose one wraith lord archetype: Ring Forger, Destroyer or Spectral Lord. Your archetype grants you features at 3rd, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level.
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
At 6th and 13th, choose one of your rings of power. That ring's maximum number of charges increases by 1. An empowered ring regains 1d3 expended charges daily at midnight (instead of 1 charge).
From 9th level onward you are resistant to poison damage.
From 11th level onwards, you can cast phantom steed as a ritual.
Banished From Death
Starting at 18th level your soul is banished from death. When you hp hits 0 your soul endours, you become a spirit that only can be seen by blind vision and true sight. Your body has to rebuild it destroyed cells from scratch. The process takes 3 long rests and 1 short rest to complete the resurection process. You regain this ability once per week (as to Nerf the use of this all the time).
Wraith Lord Archetypes
As a ring forger wraith lord, you use your skills as a metalsmith to create and alter rings of power.
- Craft Minor Ring
When you choose this archetype of 3rd level, you learn how to craft minor rings of power.
You can spend 2 days of downtime and 50 gp of materials to create a minor ring of power. It is a duplicate of one of your own rings of power with the following alterations: It only has one charge, and disintegrates when it is expended. If a creature is already wearing a minor ring of power, the first ring disintegrates when the second ring is worn. A creature must finish a long rest before it can benefit from another minor ring of power.
- Expert Artisan
From 5th level onward, you add double your proficiency bonus to ability checks when using jeweler's tools, instead of your normal proficiency bonus. In addition, you gain proficiency in one other set of artisan's tools of your choice.
- Reforge Ring
At 10th level, choose one of your rings of power. You gain one of the following benefits. Each ring has its own benefit, and you can only choose the benefit once.
- Enhance Ability Ring. While you wear this ring, the associated ability score cannot be reduced in any way.
- Ring of Skill. When you gain this feature, choose one skill you are proficient with. When you activate your ring of skill, you also gain advantage with your chosen skill for the duration.
- Ring of Shadows. When you activate your ring of shadows, you become invisible if you are in darkness for the duration.
- Ring of Curing. When you activate your ring of curing, you cast cure wounds on yourself as a 3rd level spell.
- Craft Legendary Ring
At 15th level, you have crafted a legendary ring of power. It is assumed you have been smithing the ring during your downtime over many years. Only you can benefit form wearing this ring. If you are separated from one of your legendary ring you can spend one hour concentrating during a long rest to have it materialize on your finger. Choose one of the following rings:
- Draupnir. Draupnir is a gold ring that can duplicate itself. Once every nine days, at dawn, 8 gold rings drip from Draupnir. Each is worth 100 gold coins. They confer no benefit other than their value.
- Baguenaudier. Baguenaudier is a set of entangled rings through which is looped a piece of cord. If you give Baguenaudier to a creature with an Intelligence score of 8 or greater, that creature must pass a Wisdom saving throw of DC equal to 8 + your Intelligence modifier + your proficiency bonus. If the creature is hostile towards you, it has advantage on the saving throw. On a failure, the creature becomes obsessed with trying to disentangle the cord from the rings. While so obsessed, the creature is oblivious and has the incapacitated condition. If the creature is attacked, the effect is broken. After 1 minute (and each subsequent minute), the creature may make a DC 20 Intelligence check. On a success, it solves the puzzle: it drops Baguenaudier and the effect is broken.
- Solomon's Ring. While you wear this ring, you can cast unseen servant as a ritual. In addition, whenever you make a Charisma (Persuasion) check dealing with a creature that holds a title of nobility (such as a knight or a queen), you are considered proficient with the Persuasion skill and add double your proficiency bonus, instead of normal proficiency bonus.
- Rule the Rings
At 20th level, you know the exact location of any creature wearing one of your minor rings of power.
You can spend an action to see and hear what the bearer of one of your rings can see or hear as long as they are on the same Plane. This vision lasts until you dismiss it: this does not require an action. If the creature you are monitoring in this way is a humanoid, you can cast dominate person on that creature as an 8th level spell (regardless of range and line of sight). Your spellcasting ability is Constitution. You must finish a long rest before you can cast this spell again.
As a destroyer wraith lord, you use the power of your rings to improve your capability as a front line fighter.
- Spectral Armor
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain the following benefits:
- While you are wearing ring mail, you gain a +2 bonus to AC.
- While you are wearing light armor, when you take the Dash or Disengage actions, until the end of your turn you can move through creatures as though they were difficult terrain; and you otherwise ignore difficult terrain.
- Enchanted Blades
From 5th level onwards, a weapon you wield in a hand wearing a ring of power gains the following benefit. If you are wearing two rings and wielding a two-handed weapon or a versatile weapon in two hands, the weapon gains both benefits.
- Ring of Strength. The weapon deals +2 extra damage.
- Ring of Dexterity. If the weapon has the finesse property, you have a +1 bonus to attack rolls made with it.
- Ring of Constitution. When you hit a creature with this weapon, you can take the shove action against the creature as a bonus action.
- Ring of Intelligence. This weapon is considered to be a magical weapon. When you hit a creature that has resistance or immunity to damage from nonmagical weapons, that resistance or immunity is disrupted until the start of your next turn.
- Ring of Wisdom. When you hit a creature with this weapon, you can see it until the start of your next turn. This sight overcomes invisibility, etherealness, illusions (such as a displacer's disruption), hiding and cover.
- Ring of Charisma. When you hit a creature with this weapon, you have advantage on Intimidation checks made against it on the same turn.
- Ring of Skill. When you hit a creature with this weapon,
- Ring of Shadow. When you hit a creature with this weapon, its normal vision (and darkvision if it has it) are reduced to 30 feet, and it has disadvantage on Perception checks. This effect has a duration of 1 round.
- Ring of Curing. When you hit a creature with this weapon, you gain 4 temporary hit points.
- 10th Level
Enchanted Rings gains advantage on Attack Rolls.
A spectral wraith lord taps further into the world of the dead.
At the following levels you can cast the spells listed. They are always cast at the lowest possible level and can't be cast at a higher level. You can cast one spell of each level once, then you must finish a long rest before you can cast a spell of that level again. Your spellcasting ability is Constitution. You can use any of your rings of power as an arcane focus.
- 3rd level: false life, hold person, darkvision (self only)
- 5th level: fear, vampiric touch
- 10th level: animate dead, hallow
- 15th level: etherealness, power word stun
- Ethereal Sight
At 3rd level, you can see 30 feet into the Ethereal Plane.
- Ethereal Reach
At 5th level, you can target creatures you can see in the Ethereal Plane: your attacks and spells affect such creatures normally.
- Ghost Strike
At 10th level, when you make a weapon attack and before you make the attack roll, you can declare that it is a ghost strike. Instead of rolling to attack, the target must make a Dexterity saving throw. The DC is 8 + your Strength modifier + your proficiency bonus. On a failed save, the target is hit by the weapon and takes an additional 1d8 necrotic damage.
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the ring wraith class, you must meet these prerequisites: Strength or Dexterity 13
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the ring wraith class, you gain the following proficiencies: light armor, ring armor, simple weapons, jeweler's tools