Dwarves, Sundered (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
With a height of 4-1/2 to 5 feet, a typical sundered dwarf is slightly taller than a mountain dwarf, but he is of slimmer build, weighing about 155 pounds. His skin is usually lighter than a hill dwarf's, more pink than brown. His hair is dark with tinges of blue. Sundered dwarves tend to be dirty and unkempt.
Sundered dwarves may be found living among other races. They may make up the majority of the inhabitants in a ghetto, or small groups of them may be found living or adventuring with other races.
Although their traditional homes are gone, sundered dwarves continue to follow the crafts, especially mining and smithing. They will work for humans or elves.
Sundered dwarf society retains its traditional lawful organization, but is more concerned with maintaining its laws than ensuring that all citizens share in its benefits.
Unlike most dwarves, sundered dwarves live on the surface. Once hill or mountain dwarves, they were cut off from their kin and traditional ways of life. Where deep dwarves went downward, sundered dwarves were forced onto the surface.
They may have been driven there by volcanoes or earthquakes that shattered their subterranean homes, or perhaps by orcs or dragons. Finding no safe haven underground, they were forced above. Some may even have chosen to abandon their homes and give up the subterranean life.
Over the centuries sundered dwarves adapted as best they could, but abandoning their natural habitat has taken its toll. They have lost much of their racial pride, and tend to be a miserable and dirty people. They have developed an irrational phobia of dark places, yet are uncomfortable under the open sky, in rain, and with most surface conditions.
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma,-4 dexterity: Sundered dwarves are larger and stronger than hill dwarves, but are not as fast due to their massive bulk.
- Humanoid (Dwarf):
- Sundered dwarf base land speed is 20 feet: However, sundered dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
- Darkvision(Ex): out to 60 feet.
- Stonecunning: This ability grants a sundered dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. A sundered dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a sundered dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. Something that isn't stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A sundered dwarf cannot intuit approximate depth underground as a hill dwarf. Though they have forsaken their ancestral underground haunts, sundered dwarves continue to hold the arts of stoneworking in high regard.
- Weapon Familiarity: Sundered dwarves treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- Stability: Sundered dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. A sundered dwarf has a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Claustrophobic: Sundered dwarves suffer a -4 penalty on all attack rolls and skill checks when underground.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs, half-orcs, and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Orc.
- Favored Class: Rogue. Rather than skill at arms, most sundered dwarves focus on acquiring a wide range of skills.
- Level Adjustment: 0.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|