Artificer, 8th Variant (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Artificer
- 1.1 Creating an Artificer
- 1.2 Class Features
- 1.3 Mech Forger
- 1.4 Construct Forger
- 1.5 Multiclassing
The desire to create and build a new world is something I live for, the idea of creating and building something and giving it meaning giving it life.
Creating an Artificer
When creating an artificer think about what area you want to specialise in, whether that is how to create mechs and act as front line powerhouse or whether you would rather have constructs do the fighting while you stay at the back and focus on a more supportive role.
As a Artificer you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light Power Armour
Weapons: Simple guns, Simple Melee Weapons
Tools: Artificer's Tools
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Intelligence
Skills: Choose two: Arcana, History, Insight, Perception or Investigation
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) Simple Gun or (b) Simple Melee Weapon
- Light Power Armour
- Artificer's Tools
|1st||+2||Master of the Craft||-|
|2nd||+2||Repair and protect||-|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement||7|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement||15|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement||23|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement||31|
|17th||+6||Improved Technological Marvel||33|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement||37|
|20th||+6||Beyond Mortal Capacities||40|
Master of the Craft
Beginning at level 1, all armour and weapons you start with have an additional augment slot additionally you can upgrade any piece of armour or weapon once to give it an additional upgrade slot the cost of which is at the DM's discretion rough price guide is 100gp-500gp.
Fuel is used to power your Path abilities once the device using fuel is destroyed/dismantled you regain any fuel points used on it.
Repair and Protect
At level 2, you gain the ability to repair the armour of any character. Armour health is dependent on the class and any augments it may have. You gain a pool of energy that you can use to repair the health of armour equal to twice your Artificer level + your proficiency bonus + Intelligence modifier. This pool resets after a long rest.
At level 3, you choose a Path:
- Mech Forger
- Construct Forger
Each Path is outlined further in the class description. You gain Path features at levels 6, 11 and 15.
Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
At level 5, you gain the ability to repair machines of your so long as you have the required technology level and get them into full working order. If this machine is a mech you will gain the knowledge of how to pilot it however you will not be able to upgrade or make others. This is the same for constructs except you learn how to control it rather than pilot. The repair cost is dependent on the machine in question.
At level 9, you gain proficiency when using machines and increase your technology level for your main species by 1 level. Additionally you are able to mechanically enhance yourself by increasing one of your ability scores by 1 and gaining an additional proficiency with weapons, tools, armour or a language. This feature is improved upon reaching the 17th level
At level 10, you gain the ability to make augments for weapons and armour using resources that can be bought or found in the world. These augments can be used by other PCs or NPCs and their efficiency is determined by rolling 1d20 + your proficiency bonus + 1/4 of your Artificer level rounded down. A natural 1 will cause the augment to fail, 5-10 will cause a defective augment the DM will roll on the detrimental property table for artefacts in the DM's guide for this property, 11-19 the augment is normal and has no detrimental property and finally 24 + the augment gains an additional positive property which will be rolled for on the minor beneficial property table in the Dm's guide.
At level 13 you gain an additional attack on your turn on top of any other effects that give you an additional attack. You can also make 2 attacks with your bonus action however using this feature prevents you from using your action to attack.
Improved Technological Marvel
At level 17, you gain an additional point to which you can increase one of your ability scores by 1 and you can take an additional proficiency with weapons, tools, armour, language or skill. You can also give yourself resistance to one type of damage.
Beyond Mortal Capacities
At level 20, you gain abilities beyond that of mere flesh and bone as you are able to augment yourself with your armour this grants you 20 in Strength and Dexterity if you don't already have these. If you do then they are increased to 22 each with a max of 22. You also gain resistance to slashing, piercing, bludgeoning and force damage. If your armour causes you to be proficient in any skills you retain those bonuses. You also gain all features granted by your armour at the cost of the armour itself. You gain unarmed strikes which deal 2d8+ your strength bonus bludgeoning damage, have a range of 5ft the bonus to hit is your proficiency bonus + your strength + half your dex rounded down.
An Artificer who specialises in the construction and augmentation of mechs that would be used in battle
At level 3, you gain the ability to make and pilot small mechs.
- Small mech stats are as follows
- 20 Strength 10 Dexterity 20 Constitution. Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma are your own ability scores and thus do not change once you are piloting the mech.
- Small mechs have proficiency in all strength based checks their proficiency bonus is equal to your proficiency bonus
- They can wield simple melee weapons and simple guns
- Their ac is 10 + your proficiency bonus
- They have 20 + your proficiency bonus + your artificer level hit points.
- They deal the regular damage for weapons they are wielding or use unarmed strikes which have a bonus to hit equal to the mech's proficiency bonus + its strength and deal 1d6 + strength bludgeoning damage they have a range of 10ft.
- They cost 5 fuel to maintain.
- 2 Mech augment slots
At level 6, you gain the ability to upgrade your mechs with augments. Mech augments are as follows:
- Energy shield
- A frontal barrier that blocks incoming attacks this grants an additional 10 health for each time it is selected and costs 6 fuel to implement
- Extra limb
- An extra limb that can be used for a variety of purposes if it holds a weapon it grants an additional attack in combat. limit of 2 extra limbs per mech costs 4 fuel each.
- Any existing augment for a weapon/armour with unncommon costing 4 fuel, rare 6 very rare 8 and legendary 12 each.
At level 11, you gain the knowledge required to make and pilot medium mechs.
- Medium mechs stats are as follows
- 26 Strength 16 Dexterity 26 Constitution. Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma are your own ability scores and thus do not change once you are piloting the mech.
- Medium mechs have proficiency in all strength based checks and have proficiency in strength saves. proficiency bonus is equal to your proficiency bonus
- They can wield Martial Melee Weapons and Martial Ranged weapons
- Their ac is 15 + your proficiency bonus
- They have 60 + your proficiency bonus + your artificer level hit points.
- They deal the regular damage for weapons they are wielding or use unarmed strikes which have a bonus to hit equal to the mech's proficiency bonus + its strength and deal 2d6 + strength bludgeoning damage they have a range of 10ft.
- They cost 10 fuel to maintain.
- 4 Mech augment slots
At level 15, you gain the knowledge required to make and pilot Large mechs.
- Large mechs stats are as follows
- 30 Strength 22 Dexterity 30 Constitution. 20 Intelligence 20 wisdom 16 Charisma these ability scores are representative of the Ai that helps manage and control the mech.
- Large mechs have proficiency in all strength based skills and have proficiency in Strength saves and Constitution saves. Additionally they have advantage in all strength based skill checks
- They can wield Martial Melee Weapons and Martial Ranged weapons
- Their ac is 20 + your proficiency bonus
- They have 80 + your proficiency bonus*2 + your artificer level hit points.
- They deal the regular damage for weapons they are wielding or use unarmed strikes which have a bonus to hit equal to the mech's proficiency bonus + its strength and deal 3d6 + strength bludgeoning damage they have a range of 10ft.
- They cost 15 fuel to maintain.
- 5 Mech augment slots
An artificer who specialises in the production and maintaining of various constructs
At level 3 you gain the ability to make and maintain small constructs. You can make constructs out of creatures from the Monster Manual with CR less than or equal too half your level. You can maintain 1 construct at level 3 this increase by 1 at the following levels 11 and 18 at level 15 you can add half your proficiency bonus to the CR cap of constructs. The construct does not have any legendary actions, abilities, languages and damage resistances it previously had
At level 6 you gain the ability to make slight modifications to your constructs:
- You can give it a more adaptive processor which increases it's intelligence by 2 and gives it the ability to communicate in one language of your choice. cost 5 fuel
- You can give it mechanical wings or improve any existing wings giving it a flight speed equal to it's walking/swimming speed. if it already had a flight speed it increases by 20ft. 10 fuel
- You can give it advanced armour this increases its AC by 2 and gives it resistance to one type of damage. 10 fuel only selectable once per construct.
- You can increase its reaction time giving it an extra attack on top of any extra attacks it already had and + 3 to its initiative bonus. 6 fuel
- You can increase the size of the construct by one tier which will increase it's strength and constitution scores by 2 aswell as giving it the carry weight of the new size. 15 fuel
At level 9 you can roll a d20 whenever you make a construct if you roll above a 10 you can give it one of the modifications from the table at level 6 for 0 fuel cost any additional resources will still be needed. Additionally the construct becomes proficient in a singular skill/saving throw. At level 15 you can add your proficiency bonus to that roll.
Master of life
At level 15 you have gained the ability to perfectly mimic the natural world to the point where if the creature had legendary actions / abilities it has additionally it gains all profiencies, damage resistances and languages it has They also gain health equal to your artificer level + your intelligence modifier + your proficiency bonus . Additionally you can teleport to your constructs by using a bonus action and can teleport your constructs to you with an action.
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Artificer class you require special training from an artificer of 10th level or higher additionally you must have an Int of at least 13 and Dex of at least 13
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Artificer class you gain the following proficiencies Simple guns, Simple Melee Weapons, Artificer's Tools